Re: gEDA-user: More robust support of multi-part symbols.

Dave N6NZ wrote:
>>> 6) gschem should read the parts list and insert all parts at once.
>>>

> Please clarify what this does.  Are you saying that if I add one section
> of a 74ls00 I get the other three automatically?  That fails in the case
> where I add a positive logic picture for sections A and B, and negative
> logic symbols for sections C and D.  Perhaps I misunderstand your intent.
>
>> Another nice feature would be if gschem would allow parts with inherent
>> supplies on the A-slot, meaning it'll always be there when you place it
>> but not on the B, C and so on parts. This is how Kicad does it.
>
> Well, then IMHO, KiCad sucks. :)  Power belongs on a symbol by itself,
> and that symbol belongs on an infrastructure page, not on the same page
> as functional data flow.  But that's just me. (And all other right
> thinking people :)

That makes hardcore analog stuff very hard to understand. And there
aren't enough people who understand analog these days in the first
place. Picture this:

Lots of logic, then two 74HC244 on separately filtered supplies because
they drive two sensitive mixer. They can't be on the same filtered
supply because that ruins channel separation. Then a 74HC74 where the
supply is very slightly regulated by some PID loop to jiggle an ever so
small phase shift. While the other 74HC74 chips hang off of VCC. Over
yonder on that same page dwelleth a lone LM324 with its supply hanging
on the output of another LM324 to the left of it because that switches
it on and off. If you draw all those on a separate infrastructure page
this whole scenario becomes nearly incomprehensible even by seasoned
engineers.

Oh, and if the CAD mixed up those LM324 slots ... phssss ... phut ... *BANG*

I am designing this kind of stuff a lot, for mass production. And yeah,
I am very much used to initial scoffing and utterances of disgust in
design reviews, people getting sick and all that :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/