Re: gEDA-user: More robust support of multi-part symbols.

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 14:33 -0700, Joerg wrote:
>
>> That makes hardcore analog stuff very hard to understand.
>
> But you can do it with current gEDA: Put the functional symbol and the
> corresponding power symbol close together. The same refdes indicate that
> they belong together. There is not really a need that the power pins are
> attached to the functional (slot) symbol.

That's how it is often done in Eagle. But I always butt up the power
symbol against the A-slot part for parts that have them separate. Eagle
calls power symbols up via an "invoke" command.

One reason why it is best to have them affixed to the A-part is that
power pins are often used like input pins, for example to provide
amplitude modulation. It's a very different world :-)

The main problem with gschem isn't the schematic itself but what happens
after auto-numbering: All refdeses blown away, parts that need to remain
on a common chip scattered all over the place. That's what often doesn't
work in analog, and you need auto-numbering on large schematics. IIRC
Peter Clifton had once said that this may not be as easy to fix as it
looks. Just like Cadsoft seems to have a hard time with hierarchical
sheet structures (which gschem handles nicely).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/