Re: gEDA-user: PCB: May inserting new layers destroy my layout?

Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sure -- but some bugs may hide itself, maybe until gerber export.
> To be safe I may export gerbers before and after I insert new layers and
> compare the gerbers. But of course the gerbers may be identical, while
> PCB operation fails after insertion of new layers. It's a dangerous
> world...

Actually, we have one big advantage: the pcb file format is ASCII.
I would suggest you simply look at the diff between your previous
version, saved as backup, and your new version after any step that
you might consider "dangerous".

I use a revision control system for my pcb files and always look
at the diff before committing any updated version.  You'll quickly
get a sense of what "looks" right, even without knowing all of the
details of the file format.  Of course, I commit often enough for
the diff to still be manageable.

Being obsessive-compulsive has its charms   ;-)

Cheers,

Jean-Francois