Re: gEDA-user: connecting elements in PCB

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 09:37 -0500, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> > http://www.delorie.com/pcb/docs/gs/
> >

> In 4.3 SMT Blinker, the third paragraph is talking about organizing the
> board's layer groups.  But you haven't talked about that yet so I'm
> completely lost as a reader.
>
> Just an editorial criticism.  So far, the document is pretty nice.
>

> b.g.

For a novice it may be wise to read that fine tutorial from the begining
-- I did that and I think that most important points are explained well,
this includes layer groups. (I have to admit that layer grouping was
difficult to understand for me when I started with PCB long time ago.)

This is above section 4.3, including a picture:

drawing layer
        While designing your circuit board, pcb provides a number of
        layers to draw on. While it's convenient to think of each
        drawing layer as corresponding to one of the physical layers
        (copper, silk, etc), it's possible to group multiple drawing
        layers together into one physical layer, or assign drawing
        layers to purposes not corresponding to physical layers. For
        example, you could have two drawing layers corresponding to your
        ground plane copper layer, one for the ground plane itself and a
        second (differently colored) one for any signals that need to be
        routed on the ground plane layer.

        We will next set up our layers, which define how many copper
        layers we'll have and what they'll be called. Select the Layers
        preferences. You'll see three tabs along the top; click on the
        Groups tab to show the layer group preferences. For this
        project, all we want to do is make sure that the solder layer is
        on the solder side, and the component layer is on the component
        side. Click in the boxes to make “component” and “component
        side” in group 1, and “solder” and “solder side” in group 2,
        then click on OK: