Re: gEDA-user: how close to place components?

On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 18:18 -0400, gene glick wrote:
> Any recommendations for part-to-part spacing?  Assuming someday that
> pick-and-place machines will do this stuff for me, what is a good
> spacing for 0603 resistors, caps etc.  Same goes for 0805.
>

> gene

Good question. For my DSO board I have placed the 0805 parts very close,
silk outline nearly touch. I think this is still OK, because the parts
are smaller than the outline. So hand soldering should be no problem,
and I hope that a pick-and-place machine will work. I think if I really
should consider use of a a pick-and-place machine I will convert all
0805 to 0603 or smaller and gain room. A problem may occur when the smt
devices are close to larger parts like Reed-Relays, BNC-Connectors...
I have not thought about this before -- but I really have to populate
the board very dense, because I have about 1000 parts and size of the
board is A4, 20*30cm. I think mounting the smt parts first with a
pick-and-place machine and then soldering the larger though hole parts
by hand should work.

One problem: I have not much room for the refdes.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski