gEDA-user: howto produce a diff-files

Hi.
How would I produce a patch of my changes in the geda files to send to the
list? The geda wiki suggests:
	git diff > name_of_patchfile
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:scm#format_a_patch_to_send_to_the_developers

However, this file includes not only my changes but also many, that seem
to be committed after I checked out my local copy. The "more complicated way"
mentioned in the wiki puzzles me too. It suggests to use "git add -i" to
select the files I want to commit.
After "git add -i" I get a list of files and a number of commands:
	status
	update
	revert
	add untracked
	patch
	diff
But no "select".
There seem to be two different kinds of changes detected by git.

a) Changes I did locally to git registered files. These are the changes
I'd like to get a patch file from.

b) Changes that appeared in HEAD after it I checked out.
These changes should propagate to my local set of source files.

How would I achieve these conflicting goals?

As you can see, I am still clueless how git works. Can you give a
concise explanation what staging means in this context? Is there
a git HOWTO for dummies somewhere?

---<(kaimartin>)---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak