Re: gEDA-user: Make-sure-internal-order-of-symbols-is-not-relevant-.patch

On Jul 29, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> John Doty wrote:
>> That's one symptom of the bug, yes. But the real problem is that the
>> front end reduces what is logically a list of attributes to a single
>> attribute by arbitrarily picking one. That's wrong. Give them all to
>> the back end. Simpler, cleaner, and no barrier to any back end that
>> might need the whole list.
>>

> Why would the back-end want to be able to discriminate between devices
> with the same refdes?

Well, that wasn't really what I was thinking, but consider a
heterogeneous resistor pack with different resistances in different
slots.

I was thinking more in the line of multiple attributes with the same
name, not necessarily associated with particular pieces of the
package. Might have multiple documentation= attributes, for example,
and making a list of documents to merge into the manual is a
reasonable back end function.

Then there's source=, which is often multiple. Right now, it's
handled by the front end, but that's a bug itself. It would be better
to handle hierarchy in the back end.

Remember that there's common back end code in gnetlist.scm and
gnetlist-post.scm (why two separate files?). That means that we can
present a backward-compatible interface to the back ends even if we
move functionality out of the front end.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx