Re: gEDA-user: RFC refdes positions on pcb

> With those hierarchical names, they just don't fit well.  Right
> underneath that,on the opposite side, the board is cramped with 0603
> scrunched up against each other.  Placing the text in any meaningful
> way is hard.

I've had that problem.  I just shut off the names for the board, and
turned them back on only for the electronic view for reference.

Are you trying to solve the refdes-shortening problem?  Or just trying
to come up with a workaround for names that don't fit?

Perhaps they could be spit out as a separate layer, which means their
own gerber file or a separate postscript page.  Or a separate exporter
that dumps them as a CSV file.  For best results, you'd want to Add a
grid system so you can find things on the board.