Re: gEDA-user: What's the best way to run a test version of iverilog?

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Stephen Williams <steve@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Patrick Doyle wrote:
>> If I want to compile and test a particular version of Icarus Verilog
>> without messing my existing working installation, what's the best way
>> to do that?
>>
>> I could configure it with a prefix of some temp directory and add that
>> directory (/bin) to my path.
>>
>> Or I could just run it in the compile directory, confident that it
>> will run the various executables from that directory and not from my
>> path, if I were so confident.
>
> Or you can configure with the --suffix=<str> argument and go
> ahead and install as normal. For example:

Focusing on the word "Or", which starts that sentence -- does that
imply that I can run ./driver/iverilog and it will pick up the correct
subprograms (ivl and ivlpp and whatever else) from the top level
source directory?  Or does "." have to be in my path for it to do
that?

--wpd