Re: gEDA-user: What's the best way to run a test version of iverilog?

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Stephen Williams <steve-TQXSILARuq3QT0dZR+AlfA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Patrick Doyle wrote:
>>> If I want to compile and test a particular version of Icarus Verilog
>>> without messing my existing working installation, what's the best way
>>> to do that?

>>> Or I could just run it in the compile directory, confident that it
>>> will run the various executables from that directory and not from my
>>> path, if I were so confident.

>> Or you can configure with the --suffix=<str> argument and go
>> ahead and install as normal. For example:
>
> Focusing on the word "Or", which starts that sentence -- does that
> imply that I can run ./driver/iverilog and it will pick up the correct
> subprograms (ivl and ivlpp and whatever else) from the top level
> source directory?  Or does "." have to be in my path for it to do
> that?

No, that will not work. In fact the iverilog command does not look
in your search path but instead uses complete paths to locate its
subprograms. There are command line options to iverilog that tells
it where to look instead, but those are awkward and rarely used.
I instead recommend either installing with a unique prefix, or
install with a unique suffix.

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,