Re: gEDA-user: Syntax error line 20 with xgsch2pcb

blueeagle2@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> When I do an update layout with xgsch2pcb I get a syntax error at line 20.
>
> This is what is at line 20.    What is wrong with this other than there is
> nothing inside the brackets.

Do your footprint names contain hyphens ("-")? If so, you may be yet another
victim of a long standing bug that manifest itself in different ways. A
hyphenated footprint is handed to the m4 parser. The parser fails silently
half way through and returns some broken string. This string is passed along
and may cause all kinds of file corruption.

If you don't absolutely need m4 generation of footprints, I'd recommend to
disable m4 parsing. You can do this with the option --skip-m4 on the command
line, or "skip-m4" in a project file. Note, that the default m4 footprints
have already been rendered at compile tine. They sit in pcblib-newlib.

In addition to this popular hyphen-bug, there are other ways to mess up the
work-flow with strings the scripts misinterpret. IIRC, refdes numbers are
prone to this, too. If the problem persists, you might post a simplified
version of your schematic to the list.

Hope this helps.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--