Re: gEDA-user: Gschem/PCB: how to deal with "special" pins & pads?

> - Internally connected pins and pads, e.g. SO8 MOSFETs with
> S on pins 1-3, G on pin 4, and D on pins 5-8. I can of course create a
> GSchem symbol with 3 pins for S and 4 pins for D, but is there a more
> elegant way in GSchem to deal with this?

You could create a special S08 footprint with the pins numbered to
match the symbol, rather than have a symbol that's numbered to match
the generic footprint.

> - So-called "don't care" pins and pads, e.g. mounting pads for SMD
> connectors.

I name them "M1" through "M4" for example, and if you want to connect
them to something, yeah, they need to be in the netlist.  I'm not sure
if DRC ignores them if they don't *have* a name, though.

> - Pure holes (e.g. for plastic positioning nubs of SMD connectors):
> these often fail DRC check when too close to copper surfaces (e.g.
> mouting pads) -- probably because mounting holes are genarally used
> with metal screws.

DRC doesn't know about screws, it only knows its rules, and even pure
holes should obey them or they might short.

#2 can be done just by giving all the "same" pin the same name/number.