Re: gEDA-user: Gschem/PCB: how to deal with "special" pins & pads?

Op woensdag 21-07-2010 om 16:35 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef DJ
Delorie:
> > - Internally connected pins and pads, e.g. SO8 MOSFETs with
> > S on pins 1-3, G on pin 4, and D on pins 5-8. I can of course create a
> > GSchem symbol with 3 pins for S and 4 pins for D, but is there a more
> > elegant way in GSchem to deal with this?
>
> You could create a special S08 footprint with the pins numbered to
> match the symbol, rather than have a symbol that's numbered to match
> the generic footprint.

Of course, that is a far better solution -- now why didn't I think of
that? :-)

> > - So-called "don't care" pins and pads, e.g. mounting pads for SMD
> > connectors.
>
> I name them "M1" through "M4" for example, and if you want to connect
> them to something, yeah, they need to be in the netlist.  I'm not sure
> if DRC ignores them if they don't *have* a name, though.

I just tested this, but DRC checking doesn't appear to take pin naming
into account.

> > - Pure holes (e.g. for plastic positioning nubs of SMD connectors):
> > these often fail DRC check when too close to copper surfaces (e.g.
> > mouting pads) -- probably because mounting holes are genarally used
> > with metal screws.
>
> DRC doesn't know about screws, it only knows its rules, and even pure
> holes should obey them or they might short.
>
> > Am I correct in surmising that gEDA currently only accomodates type 1?
>
> #2 can be done just by giving all the "same" pin the same name/number.

So I figured already. Anyway, thanks for clearing things up, it will no
doubt make working with gEDA even more enjoyable.

Best regards,

Richard Rasker