Re: gEDA-user: Gschem/PCB: how to deal with "special" pins & pads?

On Jul 21, 2010, at 1:35 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> - So-called "don't care" pins and pads, e.g. mounting pads for SMD
>> connectors.
>
> I name them "M1" through "M4" for example, and if you want to connect
> them to something, yeah, they need to be in the netlist.  I'm not sure
> if DRC ignores them if they don't *have* a name, though.

In my symbol library, I usually split parts into a functional symbol and an infrastructure symbol (power and ground, and similar), so my implementation of DJ's suggestion would be to have a symbol for the functional pins of the connector, and then another symbol for mounting holes, shell ground, what-have-you.  You could even have different infrastructure symbols for different manifestations of the "extra" pins from different manufacturers.  If you give all the symbols associated with a particular component the same refdes, the netlister will sort it out.

I like having the infrastructure on separate symbols because then I can put all the power (etc) distribution glorp on it's own sheet(s), and it doesn't clutter up the functional schematic.  That's obviously a matter of taste and your personal documentation conventions.

-dave