gEDA-user: PCB Library preferences has no effect

Hi all

I'm running PCB version 20091103 on an Ubuntu 10.10 machine.
I find that no matter what is put in the box for Library location
under File>Preferences>Library it seems to have no effect.

I initially put ~/Documents/gaf/Footprints (which contains newlib
footprints) but none of my footprints showed up in the library editor.
All the default footprints show up, though.

Then I put in /usr/share/pcb/. I expected that the default footprints
should show up twice, but that did not happen.
The GUI seems to be only reading the value from the ~/.pcb/preferences
file so changing the newlib location there didn't have any effect.

How to I check whether the value set in Preferences>Library is
actually being used? The --verbose option does not report anything
about footprint locations either.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
~Abhijit