Re: gEDA-user: Gtk grid changes on mm/mil toggle

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 04:46:11 -0700
Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all,
>

> Right now in the Gtk HID when you change grid units between
> mm/mil, it will try to translate your grid setting into the
> new units by finding something "sufficiently close" in the
> menu.
> To the user, this would appear to be a randomly-selected,
> unannounced, unintended, subtle setting change.
>
> Can I remove this behavior?

Please do so!!!

While I really would like the advanced user-defined grids as in the
recent patch, at least fixing this will help.  Often I want to measure
something in mils as I am laying out components on a metric grid.  So I
click the mm/mil toggle and forget that it also switches the grid (very
subtly since it picks a mil grid close to the metric grid!).  Then I
end up continuing my layout work on the wrong grid!

I would prefer the snap grid to be independent of the display units, or
make this configurable.

Regards,
Colin