Re: gEDA-user: Gtk grid changes on mm/mil toggle

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 09:52:38AM -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:

> While I really would like the advanced user-defined grids as in the
> recent patch, at least fixing this will help.  Often I want to measure
> something in mils as I am laying out components on a metric grid.  So I
> click the mm/mil toggle and forget that it also switches the grid (very
> subtly since it picks a mil grid close to the metric grid!).  Then I
> end up continuing my layout work on the wrong grid!
>
> I would prefer the snap grid to be independent of the display units, or
> make this configurable.

Pushed as 39c09254.

298 deletions, 4 insertions :P and now the Gtk GUI makes no
assumptions about what is in the menu, nor does it change
grids unexpectedly.

Plus, it greatly simplifies the gtk grid portion of my unit
unification work.

In regards to user-defined grids, what I am doing now is making
all unit handlers use the list of supported units in pcb-printf.c.
This includes eliminating the mm/mil dichotomy in the pcb source
in favor of using /any/ supported unit as the user's unit.

This is mostly complete on my personal tree. I hope that when it
is done the original author can modify his patches to support
this flexibility, then I can work on bringing those into pcb.

Note that there is no visible difference by this change; the mm/mil
button and menus still appear to only support mm and mil. However,
if you want you could type

  :SetUnits(km)

for example, and that would work. ;)

--