gEDA-user: generic symbols en custom pin numbers

As sort of an extension to heterogeneous symbols I wonder how I can make
generic symbols, consisting of a set of "sub"symbols, e.g. a relay coil
and several types of contact arrangements like SPST and SPDT, all as
separate, little symbols. In my design I would then select the
appropriate subparts and assemble a particular arrangement, assign the
same refdes to them (probably suffixed by "a", "b", "c" or similar in
lower case). So far this is simply possible with gschem AFAIK.
BUT: relays (to stick to the example) come in (very) many different
physical shapes and layouts, each with its own, vendor dependent pin
numbering scheme. Therefore, it would be nice to have the possibility to
define the pin numbers in the instantiation at the schematic level
rather than the fixed pin numbers as defined in the symbol (class
level). The slot mechanism is not intented nor useable for this.
I have not found any way to promote the pinnumbers to the instantiation
or other ways to achieve this.
Suggestions more than welcome!
thank you,
hans