Re: gEDA-user: generic symbols en custom pin numbers

Hans Schultz:
> As sort of an extension to heterogeneous symbols I wonder how I can make
> generic symbols, consisting of a set of "sub"symbols, e.g. a relay coil
> and several types of contact arrangements like SPST and SPDT, all as
> separate, little symbols. In my design I would then select the
> appropriate subparts and assemble a particular arrangement, assign the
> same refdes to them (probably suffixed by "a", "b", "c" or similar in
> lower case). So far this is simply possible with gschem AFAIK.
> BUT: relays (to stick to the example) come in (very) many different
> physical shapes and layouts, each with its own, vendor dependent pin
> numbering scheme. Therefore, it would be nice to have the possibility to
> define the pin numbers in the instantiation at the schematic level
> rather than the fixed pin numbers as defined in the symbol (class
> level). The slot mechanism is not intented nor useable for this.
> I have not found any way to promote the pinnumbers to the instantiation
> or other ways to achieve this.

I think you currently are restricted to create a seperate footprint file
for each of your alternatives.

Though it would be nice to be able to pass parameters to the footprint
and more or less treat is like a subroutine.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148