Re: gEDA-user: Design Nark

     What is RS's criteria for most powerful PCB design tool?
     Personally,
     I am scared of having my designs locked down by a proprietary tool.
     What if DesignSpark is discontinued next year or RS decides to start
     charging $$$ for it?  Will I be able to still access, edit, and
     manipulate my designs ten years from now, when all computers are
     128-bit 64-core ARMv24 machines running Linux 3.0 and the new
     Windows 2022 is available only as a pay-by-the-hour cloud computing
     service with built-in pop-up ads?
     ... Maybe an extreme example, but really: what if DesignSpark was
     discontinued next year, and didn't support Windows 8?

   A chilling vision of the future indeed!
   I fully share you concerns, Colin, which I think are quite reasonable.
   Free software is a better choice because it does not have a sole source
   of failure.
   Ed