Re: gEDA-user: New line-snapping feature for PCB - please try it!

Peter Clifton wrote:

> Having been "dogfooding" with PCB a bit recently, I decided to look at
> adding a feature for snapping to off-grid points along the body of a
> track.

There are some properties of cross hair snapping that hurt me with my
current for layer layout:

1) The cross hair snaps to pads when drawing tracks on the inner layers.
I frequently have to switch off pins/pads to put the track where I want.

2) If I start a track on a pad, the cross hair snaps to the center.
But the resulting track begins at one of the ends of the pad control line.

3) If the grid is very coarse, the cross hair does not necessarily snap
to the hot spot most closely to the mouse. Instead it seems to snap
to a hot spots near to the next grid point. As a result, some points
cannot be reached. A work-around is to make the grid smaller.
If the grid is very fine, the cross hair almost always prefers to
snap to grid point.
IMHO, snap to pins and pads should take precedence if they are within
a reasonable distance on the screen. That is, snapping should behave
like the suggestive circles in gschem.

Features on my list of day-dreams:

* temporarily disable snap to grid with a modifier-key

* a user accessible way to set the snapping radius

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx