Re: gEDA-user: Non-Rectangular PCB Shape, Negative Etch, 3-Spoke Thermals; Swapping

Gus Fantanas wrote:

> 2. On the same layer, I want two different grounds which come together
> within a small area (a very common occurrence when laying out an ADC or
> DAC). I can draw two patches and then connect them with a trace.

If you want to separate the two grounds on schematic level too, they
have to bear different net names. PCB will complain if you try to connect
them with a track. There is official no way to make PCB accept two net
names connected to the same polygon or track. However, there is a hack:
Test for connectivity ignores text. So you can use a hyphen, or the letter
I to bridge the two otherwise isolated grounds with copper.

> 3. I remember reading somewhere that there is a way in PCB to cycle
> between different kinds of thermals (three-spoke, four-spoke, or none).

Shift-click on the via while the thermal tool is active.
This will cycle the thermal through a number of styles. All of them are
four spokes, though.

> 4. What is the current status of swapping in gEDA? I did some spot
> checks on the 7400-series gates that came with the installed libraries
> and did not see any pin-swapping or gate swapping information in their
> attributes.

To swap gates, change the slot attribute in the schematic and forward
the change to the layout. Pin swapping is not supported.

> Google shows there has been a lot of discussion about gate
> and pin swapping in gEDA for over a decade.

This seems to be a feature everyone thinks is nice to have. To do it
right, calls for change of formats and/or gschem receiving information
from PCB. This means rather intrusive changes. It seems like the itch
has not been strong enough for any of the developers to tackle the
task.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak