Re: gEDA-user: New line-snapping feature for PCB - please try it!

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> Now, that I tried a bit more, I see room for improvement :-)
> Currently the cross hair snaps to lines on all layers.

I have tried it for the last touches on my big layout and I have
to make the point more pointy. With this densely routed four layer
board the cursor seems to snap to every object and theirt aunt,
but not where I want it to. This could only be avoided by making
most layers invisible. But then, I don't see where I move things...

So, please revert the feature in the current state. It creates
more grief than joy.

That said, I see big potential in better snapping. But some
conditions have to be met to make it really useful:

* snapping rules that are transparent to the user.
This is very important. Unless I have some explicit, or implicit
knowledge about the snapping algorithm, I'll be constantly surprised
and feel like the cursor does what it wants.

* extensive user configuration of snapping rules. Not only allow
the users to switch them on and off, but also let them choose
parameters like snapping distance, or relative weight.

* easy access to certain very simple standard snap-styles
e.g. exclusively snap to grid if control is pressed
     exclusively snap to the end of pads and tracks on shift
     exclusively snap to the middle of a feature on shift-control

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx