Re: gEDA-user: PCB: Documentation for command-line options (unit-changes)

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 10:00:08PM +0200, Felix Ruoff wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am actually working on Kai-Martins patch for the command-ine
> options he suggested in
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cad.geda.user/29944/focus=30083
>
> Its from April 2010, so there is some work to be done to fit it to the present code-base. While doing this, I got two questions:
> - What is the actual unit for size-options like '--via-thickness', '--line-thickness'? Is the unit for this setting still 1/100 mil? Or is it possible to give this option with an unit like '--via-thickness 3 mm'? I have in mind, that there were some changes during the last weeks, but I didn't figure out the actual situation.
> - I realised that the default-value for '--via-thickness' is MIL_TO_COORD(60), (line 487 of main.c) but in line 616 it will be set to MIL_TO_COORD(40) if the given value is over or under a given limit. Is the difference in this sizes done on purpose?

I don't think this size difference should be there. It sounds
like the default was changed at some point and whoever did it
forgot to change the "out of range" value.

We should use the CLAMP() macro to force min/max values rather
than ignoring out-of-range values, in my opinion.

As for units, there shouldn't really be a default unit. If no
unit is given, we will probably go with cmils for the sake of
backward compatibility. But we support giving units like

  --via-thickness 3mm

(no space) and that is what should be done.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net
Web:   http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew/