Re: gEDA-user: Anybody ever had a board assembled (pick and place)?

yamazakir2 wrote:

> I have had many boards manufactured but never had one also assembled.

If a projects is done more than about five times, I let a specialized
assembler populate the board. I live and work in Germany. So my answers
may not apply directly to you. But things will be similar in other
industrialized countries.

> What are the costs to do this?

My favorite assembler is SRM Printtechnik in Berlin. They bill about 2 eurocent
per SMD two pin discrete (resistors and capacitors in 0805 or 0603). ICs are
between 5 and 10 cent. The more pins, the more expensive. I don't know about t
hru hole parts because we tend to solder these ourselves.

In addition there is a charge per board (about 10 â), a charge per order
(90 â (?)) and of course shipping (10 â). All this is for for small amounts
(< 100 boards). Prices are from the top of my head. I hope, I remember them
right.

> Are there any (cheap) manufactures that also do pick and place?

PCBs manufacturing and prototype board population is a very competitive
market. You get, what you pay for. If a supplier is cheap, chances are
that his offers less quality than his competitors. He may still be the
best choice for you. Maybe you don't actually need all the precision or
reliability the others offer.

> Do they buy the components for you

yes.

> or do you have to send them reels, meaning you have to buy 1000's
> of components at a time?

There were only few occasions which made me send parts.
a) Very costly components

b) Time was pressing and sending components will enable the manufacturer
to start a day or two earlier with the actual process.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx