Re: gEDA-user: Power relay question (Rob Butts)

   I would use a microcontroller, for instance Atmel ATtiny ( [1]8 pin
   version) to replace the relays needed to keep track of 4 states, and an
   [2]L293 dual H-bridge motor driver to drive the two motors in forward
   and reverse directions. You would need 4 pins to control the two motors
   in two directions each, and 1 pin for the momentary contact switch. If
   you wanted two separate momentary contact switches, one start, the
   other to return, that would take all 6 I/O pins of the 8 pin chip. Or
   you could get a larger, 20 pin Attiny, or PIC from Microchip, or an
   Arduino or PickAxe or Basic Stamp to use for the controller.
   Mike

     This is a dumb question but I'm having a mental block.
     I have a 12 volt dc motor that I want to run from the push of a
     momentary
     pushbutton which will run until a limit switch gets hit. Digikey has
     a power
     latching relay PB1088-ND (cheap) that I can't tell if it actually
     latches
     once energized.  (I attached the relay document)
     Is relays and switches even the best/cheapest solution?
     Suggestions?
     Power:
     quantity of 2 12 volt batteries available
     Input:
     momenary 12 volt pushbutton #1
     Requirements:
     12 volt dc motor #1
     12 volt dc motor #2
     The application:
     Stage 1: momentary signal from pushbutton #1 starts motor #1 that
     runs until
     a limit switch is hit triggering stage 2
     Stage 2: motor #2 runs until another limit switch is hit and remains
     stable
     Stage 3: momentary signal from pushbutton #1 reverses the polarity
     of power
     to the motor #2 running it until back to it's start position and
     triggering
     stage 4
     Stage 4: reverse of the ploarity of the power to motor #1 running it
     until
     it is back to the start position
     Thanks for any suggestions if non I'll just wing it.
     --

   Burn the Land,  Boil the Sea,  You can't take the SKY from me!