Re: gEDA-user: Power relay question (Rob Butts)

   Thanks Mike, I'll look into this.

   On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Mike Bushroe <[1]mbushroe@xxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

       I would use a microcontroller, for instance Atmel ATtiny ( [1]8
     pin
       version) to replace the relays needed to keep track of 4 states,
     and an
       [2]L293 dual H-bridge motor driver to drive the two motors in
     forward
       and reverse directions. You would need 4 pins to control the two
     motors
       in two directions each, and 1 pin for the momentary contact
     switch. If
       you wanted two separate momentary contact switches, one start, the
       other to return, that would take all 6 I/O pins of the 8 pin chip.
     Or
       you could get a larger, 20 pin Attiny, or PIC from Microchip, or
     an
       Arduino or PickAxe or Basic Stamp to use for the controller.
       Mike
         This is a dumb question but I'm having a mental block.
         I have a 12 volt dc motor that I want to run from the push of a
         momentary
         pushbutton which will run until a limit switch gets hit. Digikey
     has
         a power
         latching relay PB1088-ND (cheap) that I can't tell if it
     actually
         latches
         once energized.  (I attached the relay document)
         Is relays and switches even the best/cheapest solution?
         Suggestions?
         Power:
         quantity of 2 12 volt batteries available
         Input:
         momenary 12 volt pushbutton #1
         Requirements:
         12 volt dc motor #1
         12 volt dc motor #2
         The application:
         Stage 1: momentary signal from pushbutton #1 starts motor #1
     that
         runs until
         a limit switch is hit triggering stage 2
         Stage 2: motor #2 runs until another limit switch is hit and
     remains
         stable
         Stage 3: momentary signal from pushbutton #1 reverses the
     polarity
         of power
         to the motor #2 running it until back to it's start position and
         triggering
         stage 4
         Stage 4: reverse of the ploarity of the power to motor #1
     running it
         until
         it is back to the start position
         Thanks for any suggestions if non I'll just wing it.
         --
       Burn the Land,  Boil the Sea,  You can't take the SKY from me!