gEDA-user: Problem With SOT23-5? Invisible "Guardband" Around Landpattern; Arcs in Silkscreen

I am trying to use gEDA in my professional life. A big breaktrhough came when I read on John Delorie's site (http://www.delorie.com/pcb/docs/gs/gs.html#Your-First-Board) about how to create simple footprints on the fly with pcb. I would like to mention a couple of questions/problems:

1. The SOT23-5 footprint (Linear Tech package footprint) from John Luciani's site (http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/footprints-gif/SOT-gif.html) seems to confuse gsch2pcb. gsch2pcb skips the part with that footprint, not referring to it. If, in gschem, I declare that part to have another five-pin footprint, e.g., SC70_5, it works fine. I am buffled by this. I finally solved the problem by creating my own SOT23-5 footprint.

2. The standard footprints for 0201..1210 (and probably others, too) in the pcb library do not show up with a "guardband" around them when placed. However, while moving such a part, a guardband does show up around it on the rough sketch (shown during the movement) and disappears once the part is placed. So, pcb seems to be aware of a guardband around the landpattern. How can I make pcb display it permanently?

3. I tried to draw a semicircular arc on the silkscreen perimeter around some footprints I created (to help identify the side of the package defined by the first and last pins). However, they did not carry into the final element (created from the buffer), although the straight line segments did. How can I make an arc part of the silkscreen pattern of a footprint I create?

I am running gEDA packaged with the latest version of Ubuntu (11.04 "Natty"), if that helps. Thanks in advance for your time.