Re: gEDA-user: Problem With SOT23-5? Invisible "Guardband" Around Landpattern; Arcs in Silkscreen

> came when I read on John Delorie's site

My name is not John.

> 1.  The SOT23-5 footprint (Linear Tech package footprint) from John
> Luciani's site

John's library is designed to be used *without* the M4 library
enabled.  The M4 preprocessor doesn't like symbol names with math in
them, like "SOT5-3" (it tries to subtract 3 from 5).

> 2.  The standard footprints for 0201..1210 (and probably others, too) in
> the pcb library do not show up with a "guardband" around them when
> placed.  However, while moving such a part, a guardband does show up

If there's no silkscreen in the part, my guess is it draws the
bounding box instead.

> around it on the rough sketch (shown during the movement) and disappears
> once the part is placed. So, pcb seems to be aware of a guardband around
> the landpattern.   How can I make pcb display it permanently?

Edit the footprint to include actual silk.

> 3.  I tried to draw a semicircular arc on the silkscreen perimeter

This should work just fine, we do it all the time.