gEDA-user: PCB Lines Over Polygons & Layer-groupings

When I draw a line over a polygon in pcb I can get the line to create
clearance as described in the documentation when the line and the
polygon are in the same group.  If I move the line or  polygon to a
different layer in the same layer group, however, the line loses its
clearance.

For example, I get a line with clearance if I draw a large polygon for
ground in the solder layer, then draw a signal line across it, also in
the "solder" layer, and with "Settings->new lines, arcs clear
polygons" checked.  If I move the polygon to the GND-sldr layer, the
clearance disappears.  When I move the polygon to the solder layer the
clearance reappears.

Is there any way to add clearance for lines in the same layer group as
polygons, but in different layers?  I am using pcb-20040530.

Thanks,
Bill.