Re: gEDA-user: Land pattern naming convention per IPC

> Maybe the safest thing to do with their footprint spec files is to
> just distribute the Perl prog without the derived footprint files, and
> let individual users do their own symbol ripping.

I hope you're prepared to have the Free-Dog meetings at Club-Fed so that I
can attend :-)

Providing a tool whose *only* function is to munge files that have copyright
protection may not be a good idea.

> As for your own footprints, naming them using IPC7351 nomenclature
> is a good idea IMO.  Also, putting the mfr name as a suffix makes
> sense to me.
>
> It's not clear to me that the IPC7351 standard requires the footprints
> named according to their convention to also use exactly the
> dimensional data they specify.  Any thoughts about that?

It seems like there are three levels of pad dimensions (at least for most
footprints). For most situations I would think that you would be able to
pick a suitable footprint using the IPC7351 dimensions. The suffix
should be rare.

(* jcl *)