gEDA-user: Spooky Action . . at a distance!

OK, I just had the *weirdest* experience of my life.

Spooky.

I am working on wiring up the IPL circuit as documented at
http://www.falvotech.com/projects/kestrel/repo/8k/prints/ipl-port_3.pdf
.  I plugged power in, and I ran the software on my Linux box to
program it (wrote it myself; sources coming soon).  I probed around
with the o'scope, and everything was working.

Perfectly.

Shortly afterwards, I noticed that Vss of U301 was not hooked up to
anything!!  Vdd was connected to +5V, as expected.  And yet, it worked
fully.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen?  I know this is
pretty much just a fluke, but I'm wondering *why* it worked?

Anyway, I hooked Vss back up, and the circuit operation didn't change
at all.  :-)

Samuel A. Falvo II