Re: gEDA-user: Spooky Action . . at a distance!

Hi,

Most CMOS devices like your 'HC595 have protection diodes connecting the inputs to the power rails. I noticed that some of your pins are directly connected to the power supply. Current could flow through those pins and into the device, leaving enough margin for the guts of the chip to work. (Eg. the voltage inside the chip was Vcc - (somewhere between 0.3 and 0.7) V.)

O.T. but, as a side note if you intend to manufacture these boards and test the board with In Circuit Test (ICT) you should probably use a pullup on each of the inputs you wired directly to Vcc. Eg. something like a 1K or 3.3K resistor. If you have to wire to ground use a 100 or 110 Ohm resistor. The ICT machine can overdrive these resistors to test all the I/O's on the chips...

Mike

Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:

OK, I just had the *weirdest* experience of my life.

Spooky.

I am working on wiring up the IPL circuit as documented at
http://www.falvotech.com/projects/kestrel/repo/8k/prints/ipl-port_3.pdf
.  I plugged power in, and I ran the software on my Linux box to
program it (wrote it myself; sources coming soon).  I probed around
with the o'scope, and everything was working.

Perfectly.

Shortly afterwards, I noticed that Vss of U301 was not hooked up to
anything!!  Vdd was connected to +5V, as expected.  And yet, it worked
fully.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen?  I know this is
pretty much just a fluke, but I'm wondering *why* it worked?

Anyway, I hooked Vss back up, and the circuit operation didn't change
at all.  :-)