Re: gEDA-user: gnetlist bug report

Stuart Brorson wrote:

Is there a reason why multiple netnames on a
single net is a good thing or solves any particular design issue?

Stuart

This sounds like a messy one.

Hierarchical circuits can reasonable expect the same net to have different names.
Two different pages can expect a net to have 2 names, matched via some
interpage connecter magic.
Two developers drawing different blocks can name differently, then
connect together using some resolution function. (maybe a connecter?)
Verilog can, via assigns, also.

I have seen horribleness where an artwork puts a default (cuttable) link
in copper. (this is great for DRC)

As places that gschem can connect/netlist to support multiple a names, I'd have thought it would be simpler to allow DRC to generate a warning, and netlisters as appropriate pick one (the first?) or many names. Not a heap of code.

This is real even for ground. How about when a designer specifys analog and digital ground connect at exactly one star point? I've yet to see a layout package that does that well.

john