Re: gEDA-user: D-BUS and gEDA?

On Monday 12 June 2006 17:23, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Peter Brett wrote:
> >>    "Portable" meaning "runs on different Linux 'distros'", or portable
> >> to other OSs and architectures?  If it's truly portable, this is a
> >> great step forward for application interoperability.  I need to read
> >> up
> >> on this!
> >
> > If it didn't port to everything Qt ports to, KDE4 wouldn't be built
> > around it.
> >
> > Including Windows.
> >
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2006-May/004755.html
>
>    Well KDE isn't exactly a shining example of portability, man. ;)  Is
> Qt more portable than KDE?  As in, if I try to compile
> Solaris/UltraSPARC binaries for it with Sun's notoriously (and
> gloriously!) picky compiler, will I end up with libraries, or less
> hair?
>
>    (I've not touched Qt for quite a while)

Qt is probably the most portable toolkit!  It runs natively on Windows 98 and
later, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, AIX, *BSD, ..., etc.  For a
commercial product it's pretty good.  And there's a GPL version (which is how
KDE can use it).  Google Earth is implemented in Qt.

http://www.trolltech.com/trolltech/developer/notes/supported_platforms lists
Sun Solaris support with gcc or 'Sun CC' (which is what I assume you're
referring to).

As far as DBUS is concerned, why don't you just download the DBUS source code
and throw your toolchain at it?

wget http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-0.62.tar.gz &&
tar -xf dbus-0.62.tar.gz && cd dbus-0.62 &&
./configure --enable-glib --enable-gtk && make

Hot off the presses, this is _today's_ release. :D

Doesn't gEDA use GLib? I just noticed that DBUS has a "GLib-friendly client
library"...

Peter

P.S. Rumour has it that KDE 4 is going to work as a Windows shell
replacement. :D

P.P.S. If KDE doesn't compile for you, it's a bug.  But they'll probably say,
'use gcc', unfortunately.

--
Quake II build tools maintainer             http://tinyurl.com/fkldd

v2sw6YShw7$ln5pr6ck3ma8u6/8Lw3+2m0l7Ci6e4+8t4Eb8Aen5+6g6Pa2Xs5MSr5p4
  hackerkey.com