gEDA-user: solder pads showing on wrong side of board.

Hi all,
I have run into a snag trying to use the symbols that John Luciani has shared. I really like how he has created the oval shaped solder pads. However, they are printing on the front side of my layout.
Only the round pin/pads are showing on the back side.
If I use the red component line to make the oval shape, it turns into a light grey/far side layer of the element, which shows on the correct (back) side of the board, but it also completely covers the pad hole in the print image. (?) If I use the blue/solder line, it turns it into an element similar to John's, and it still prints on the fron side of the board.
I have also tried to play with the layer preferences, and have gotten no change in how the element prints.
I am using version 20050609 on a Mac. Is this a bug that has been worked out in more current versions? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice,

Dave