Re: gEDA-user: Help request

al davis wrote:

Fedora works. I can see how some people like it best. There are some issues that make it not my choice. It has fewer free packages available than Debian or Ubuntu, but most commercial software supports Fedora first. This is the best choice if you want to run commercial software (Cadence, Synopsys, Mentor, etc.)

I'm running commercial software from Mentor, Synplicity, and LSI. Mentor/ModelSim only supports SUSE and RHEL, and some older RedHat releases (but not Fedora). The Synplicity and LSI software only supports RHEL, although at least one of them was talking about supporting SUSE. Last time I checked Synopsys (some time ago) they only supported RedHat. You can get most of this stuff to install by editing or creating /etc/redhat-release and /etc/issue, but I don't think their tech support people would be impressed. But, lets face it, anyone who spends many K$ on commercial software is going to install exactly the required distribution, and wont be hacking anything.

I run Centos because it's identical to RHEL. One download ISO which contains everything, and trivial installation.

Evan