gEDA-user: Freedog Notes

I placed write-ups of a  couple of things that were discussed at the
last Freedog
on my website.

Parts Storage
-------------
A write-up containing some SMD part storage ideas is at

http://www.luciani.org/no-place-to-go/doc/storage-ideas.pdf

I built some storage trays that hold low cost tin-plated steel cans
that are available from McMaster Carr. The document contains pictures
and dimensioned drawings for trays that hold 1 1/2" and 2 3/8"
diameter cans.

BOM Creation
------------
I created a BOM script that outputs a file containing component group
records. Each record contains the common component attributes
and a list of refdes's that share those atrributes. The output of the
BOM script can be passed to a bom2tex script which
creates a pdfLaTeX file. I also have a bom2order script which creates
a component order from multiple boms (and an order2tex script to
create a pdfLaTeX file). After I add the embedded datasheet option to
the bom2tex script I will release the bom script, bom2tex, bom2order
and order2tex.

The bom script code documentation is at

http://www.luciani.org/not-quite-ready/doc/bom_6.pdf

Component Server (compsrv)
--------------------------
Brief discussion of a component server that will return various component
attributes through a socket connection. The current prototype only
returns datasheet filenames. A future version will return other
component attributes (such as footprint names, vendor data) and have
a Postgres interface.

The compsrv code documentation is at

http://www.luciani.org/not-quite-ready/doc/compsrv.pdf

(* jcl *)