Re: gEDA-user: Has anyone used SSOP28.fp?

Steven Michalske wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Dave N6NZ wrote:
>
>> L.J.H. Timmerman wrote:
>>> Hi Dave and all,

>>> Since this is on a per thickness, per material basis for the stencil
>>> involved, I think this could be better handled in a specific
>>> "stencil"
>>> exporter with a configurable positive(=larger) or negative(=smaller)
>>> offset value for the pad-outline.
>> That would be cool.  But I also think you want to be able so specify
>> different shrinks on a per-footprint/pad basis.  For example, for
>> those
>> packages with a big heat-sink pad, that pad may want a different
>> shrink
>> from the rest of the pins on the package, and different from the
>> default.  So, I could see some kind of format like:
>>
>> default -10% # any footprint, any pad
>> sot223.2 -30% # sot223 footprint, pin #2 gets special treatment
>>
>> Maybe something like that should even go into the footprint
>> definition?
>> (I'm thinking newlib here, I never use the M4 stuff.)
>>
> I agree that this would go in the foot print definitions.
>
> This is something that needs a touch finer control.  some of the
> larger devices require a grid of solder paste on a pad.
>
> This might be something to have a calculator on.  define a volume of
> paste per pad, and weather it is a grid.
> this then gets scaled by paste mask thickness so that if i used a
> 1/16th paste mask  i'd get small holes, and a 1mill would error out
> saying that the paste mask apertures were larger than the pad
> dimensions - x%
>
> Steve

Yes, that's a better model.  I can't say if that meets the needs of
people going to high-volume assembly houses, but it certainly meets the
needs of and goes beyond the kind of process controls I can get on my
workbench with my squeegee and toaster oven.

-dave