Re: gEDA-user: Switching regulator question

On Jun 18, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Randall Nortman wrote:

> I am
> over-designing the power supply to provide at least 1.5A at 70C.  I
> will
> take an efficiency hit by over-designing that much, but I don't think
> I'd feel comfortable with less margin.

Maybe not. My experience with switchers is that a design optimized
for efficiency will have big components to minimize I^2R losses. Gate
drive on a big transistor costs some power, but usually not enough to
dominate unless the transistor is grossly overrated. Thus, the
efficiency optimized design will have a lot of headroom.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx