Re: gEDA-user: Thoughts using gschem

On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Sean D'Epagnier wrote:

> Hi, I am just getting started with gschem.  I have questions and
> ideas.
>
> zooming in and out is done using z and Z.  In pcb it zooms using
> the mouse wheel.  Does else anyone want to conform both programs to
> use
> similar navigation by default?

It works that way in the 20070216 release. What release are you using?

> I had some trouble figuring out why my netlists were shorted.  I found
> out that elements can have builtin attributes that do not appear when
> editing the element.  Some of these "hidden" attributes were netlists
> shorting various things out.  Does anyone else want to display all
> attributes on an element, and in this way make it possible to remove
> or override attributes defined in the element.  I think this would
> be very useful, and isn't very hard to implement.

I generally end up making my own copies of symbols and putting them
in a project-specific library. Then edit their attributes to match
the project's needs. I've done this when using commercial EDA tools
as well. I think its inevitable that some of the attributes in a
library symbol are likely to be wrong for any specific project.

> Is there any way to select a connection and highlight or otherwise
> make
> clear exactly what it is connected to?

Not in gschem: it doesn't completely understand nets.

> If I am unclear I can try to explain better.  I am willing to try to
> implement these features, but I am new to gschem and want to make sure
> I am making sense.

We were all new to gschem once.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx