Re: gEDA-user: geda, pcb and cygwin

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> You may remember that I planned to distribute geda+pcb on virtual
> machines to local students. This was not appreciated. A stripped down
> linux machine turned out to be even more challenging to a windows user
> than a full featured desktop environment :-|
>
> Today, I tried to build the electronics tool chain under cygwin. Thanks
> to the concise instructions in the wiki I got the geda tools to work
> under cygwin.
>
> But with pcb I did not even get the configure script done. The build
> script in the win32 dir fails to find the gd-library. In particular it
> insists, that there it cannot find gd.h. Yes, I double checked, that it
> is installed at the place where the build script says it looks for it.
> The gdlib-devel package from cygwin didn't help either.
>
> Any hints anyone?

a couple of comments.

1)  building on cygwin and running with the X version of gtk under
cygwin - you should just be able to do the usual

   ./configure
   make
   make install

If you don't want png/jpeg/gif export then use the configure option that
picks the exporters you want compiled in and you won't need the gd library.

2)  building on cygwin but targeting a non-cygwin version of pcb (no X,
no cygwin.dll needed).  That is what the script in the win32 directory
is.  For that script to work, you need the windows versions of gtk (both
the development files and the runtime) as well as the windows version of
gd (again, both development and runtime).  This is a fairly large list
of things to download.  On top of that, the script in the win32
directory assumes you have extracted these files in a very particular
location.  And finally, I've seen problems when the cygwin installation
has glib and gtk packages installed because they end up in /usr/lib and
/usr/include and I couldn't figure out how to keep the build from
picking those up.

3) building from mingw or msys.  I have no experience.

4) cross compiling from some other system.  Again I have no experience
but as Peter has pointed out, it is possible.

-Dan