Re: gEDA-user: Mac OS X 10.4: GNU MP required by guile-1.8.1 ..

Andy Peters wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build the latest gEDA code from the git repository on
> my Intel OS X box, and I don't have guile-1.8 installed.  So I
> downloaded the sources for guile-1.8.1 and did the usual ./configure,
> which failed because it could not find GNU MP.
>
> So I grabbed the sources for GMP from GNU, did the ./configure, which
> succeeded, then did a make, which also succeeded, then finally did
> the recommended make check, which failed.
>
> Further checking on the GMP page (http://gmplib.org) shows a Status
> from 04 May 2006: "GMP does not build on MacInteltosh machines.  No
> fix planned for GMP 4.x."

that sucks.

> Oh, great.  So I can't build guile because I can't trust GMP.  So
> nobody uses guile on Intel Macs?  Is there a workaround??

I'd take a look at NetBSD's pkgsrc.  It runs on darwin.  Even if you
don't use pkgsrc, its a reasonable place to look for patches.
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/devel/gmp/README.html

Looking in there it seems you might be able to build on intel macs if
you set MPN_PATH="generic" in your configure environment.

As far as guile, there are a handful of patches I needed to get it
going.  Not sure how many may or may not affect darwin.

-Dan