Re: gEDA-user: Thoughts using gschem

Hi, thanks for all the replies!

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 05:55:48AM +0900, John Doty wrote:

> > zooming in and out is done using z and Z.  In pcb it zooms using
> > the mouse wheel.  Does else anyone want to conform both programs to
> > use
> > similar navigation by default?
>
> It works that way in the 20070216 release. What release are you using?

I am now using the latest sources from git, and It works!  I was using
something from early 2006 before.

> I generally end up making my own copies of symbols and putting them
> in a project-specific library. Then edit their attributes to match
> the project's needs. I've done this when using commercial EDA tools
> as well. I think its inevitable that some of the attributes in a
> library symbol are likely to be wrong for any specific project.

I understand why you would do this, but what I am thinking of would eliminate
this problem.  You would be able to delete the embedded attributes if desired,
just the object would start with them by default.  Wouldn't this simplify
things as well?

> > Is there any way to select a connection and highlight or otherwise
> > make
> > clear exactly what it is connected to?
>
> Not in gschem: it doesn't completely understand nets.

Ok, but it has all the information it needs to do it right?

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 09:41:37PM +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> To view hidden attributes, select "Edit"->"Show/hide invisible text".
> I'm not sure if you're able to delete them.

Ok, this is good to know.. it at least makes it easy to display hidden
attributes.. but I don't understand why they can't be edited like all
other attributes (see above)

> > Is there any way to select a connection and highlight or otherwise make
> > clear exactly what it is connected to?
>
> Not in gschem, as yet. Its something I'm interested in implementing, but
> it requires a lot of back-end changes to actually produce the net-lists
> and keep them up to date on the fly.

Ok, I would find this feature very useful.

> Let us know if you want any pointers in the code... and good luck!

Thanks,
Sean