Re: gEDA-user: Mac OS X 10.4: GNU MP required by guile-1.8.1 ..

On Jun 26, 2007, at 1:53 AM, Steven Michalske wrote:

> Use fink to install guile and gmp,  save yourself all the work that
> others have done for you.
>
> Use fink to install all your dependencies.
>
> The developers and maintainers of fink do a lot of patching.
> I also know an apple co worker that patched up GMP a couple of times
> before and trust me GMP won't fall out of graces at apple,  we do to
> much scientific computing, oddly enough the patches seem pretty
> darned small to make it work on macintosh intel platform, I don't
> know why they don't fix the 4.x branch for them.  Basically the
> assembly for ELF vs darwin have some differences,  from reading the
> fink info files.

I did some googling, looking for solutions to this, and apparently
the GMP maintainer is openly hostile towards anything Macintosh.  On
GMP support listservs, he comes off as, pardon my New Jersey, a big
dick.

The Rudix packages I mentioned yesterday have a version of both guile
and GMP, which seems to work.

-a