Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/gaf stable version 1.0.1-20070626 released!

On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:58 AM, Andy Peters wrote:
> Anyways ... since the geda/gaf stuff, by default, gets installed in
> my home directory, is there a recommended way to install it in /usr/
> local in the usual way?

   Others have answered this one already.

>   I suppose I could symlink everything, but
> that seems wrong.

   Yes, ugh.

>   I could have changed the install directory at
> build/configure time, but that requires building as root.

   No, not really.  I don't like running long builds as root either;
what I do for geda is create my destination dir (in my case, /usr/
local/geda), chown it to my own username, exit the root shell, then
run the whole "make install" process.  After testing, I "chown -R
root /usr/local/geda" and I'm done.

   For most everything else, I do the builds as myself, and only
become root for installation.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire