Re: gEDA-user: gEDA-dev: "In Use" symbol list in component selector

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 11:46:59PM +0100, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> For a while I've wanted a list of symbols currently being used so I don't have
> to hunt down the resistor symbol every time I want to add a new resistor.
> After much hacking, I just got this working, and it works reasonably well.

This is very useful, I've had it on my todo list but never really
started coding. Actually, I was planning to implement the
"Frequently used symbols sidebar" feature, as described on
http://geda.seul.org/gsoc/projects.html.

The way I imagined it, we would have a (dockable?) sidebar with the
symbols in use, like so:

 _________
|         |
| symbol  |
|  list   |
|_________|
|         |
| preview |
| widget  |
|_________|

We could even have the whole component selector embedded
in the sidebar, for even easier access. Of course, the sidebar
should be easy to show/hide/dock. Note that I'm not proposing
removing the component selection dialog; it would still be
just an 'i' key away.

> Please try it out.  Because it's not finished yet, it's not in main git;
> you'll need to check it out from my personal repository:
>
>   git://repo.or.cz/geda-gaf/peter-b.git
>
> The branch is "compselect", so the following would add a cogito branch for it:
>
>   $ cg-branch-add peterb-compselect \
>       git://repo.or.cz/geda-gaf/peter-b.git#compselect
>
> Hopefully someone who uses the basic git interface can tell me how to access
> it that way.

git clone git://repo.or.cz/geda-gaf/peter-b.git
cd peter-b
git checkout -b compselect --track origin/compselect

worked for me. The --track is there so future pulls will
fetch new commits and merge them into the branch.

--
Ivan Stankovic, ivan.stankovic@xxxxxx

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm";