Re: gEDA-user: poll: How do you geda?

On Jun 5, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> * What is the greatest weakness of gEDA?
>
> Editing lispy files to configure gschem is just plain wacky. There
> needs to be a preferences pane like the rest of the world now does
> it.

   For basic "preferences" I'd agree, but this type of software is a
lot more powerful than, say, an email client...castrating its
flexibility in the name of "modernness" (whatever that is) is foolish.

   Case in point...AutoCAD still has a command line, and all serious
AutoCAD users use it extensively.

   Hmm, and come to think of it, AutoCAD also gives you the ability
to edit lispy files.  That power has always been one of its greatest
selling points.

   Perhaps a point-and-drool "preferences" pane that creates the
aforementioned lispy files?  That'll give thinking people the power
they're accustomed to, and Windows people the "ease of use" (read:
handholding) that they're accustomed to.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL