Re: gEDA-user: poll: How do you geda?

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:20:48 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>> Editing lispy files to configure gschem is just plain wacky. There
>> needs to be a preferences pane like the rest of the world now does it.
>
>    For basic "preferences" I'd agree, but this type of software is a
> lot more powerful than, say, an email client...castrating its
> flexibility in the name of "modernness" (whatever that is) is foolish.

A preference pane is not necessarily an antagonism to total flexibility.
Check out the GUI of LyX for an excellent example. This application
features extensive point-and-click dialogs, and still offers the full
power of latex commands.

>    Case in point...AutoCAD still has a command line, and all serious
> AutoCAD users use it extensively.

Every decent CAD application I know has a command line interface. IMHO
the lack thereof is a major feature deficiency of gschem and pcb.

> That'll give thinking people the power
> they're accustomed to, and Windows people the "ease of use" (read:
> handholding) that they're accustomed to.

Come on, gschem and pcb are mouse based applications for a reason. In
fact, they are currently pretty unfriendly to keyboard driven people due
to the lack of scripting or even a decent command line interface.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog