gEDA-user: Ground +5V confusion

I have a ground plane and I keep connecting 5V to it because the rats
show up as an orange ring on both.  Eventually o tells me I've messed up
but it lets me advance too far and back tracking takes a lot of time.
The schematic has a mixture of +5V symbols (power 5V plus) and off page
connectors (io input with net +5V:1) on my schematic maybe I should
stick to only the 5V symbol.  The only plane I have is for ground and I
have four layers.  Any suggestions?  Regards Ian.